Thursday, March 14, 2013

Theo Dimson & Me


(Written in January 2012 upon learning of Theo Dimson's death.)

1969 … an easy year to pin down as it’s when I graduated from the Advertising Department of the Ontario College of Art. I must have gone for more than 30 interviews (one of our instructors, Bob Mitchell, had given us a list of people to see about work … he suggested that if they didn’t have a job they may well know of someone who did) and at some point I found myself at the door of Reeson, Dimson & Smith in the office tower at the southeast corner of St. Clair and Avenue Road where I was bound to have the second most memorable interview of the lot (the most memorable being the very last one that actually netted me an underling art department position). I was beckoned in by Theo Dimson himself who looked much trendier than I had in all my time at OCA — I recall him being a symphony of flamboyant bell bottoms and colourful paisley patterns. Theo was very friendly and affable. The walls were festooned with very impressive samples of the studio’s work. After looking through my portfolio, Theo said something about my work being evenly split between design and illustration and that someday someone would make me choose one or the other — and that I shouldn’t let them. Nobody had ever suggested this to me before. I realized that it made a lot of sense. I thanked Mr. Dimson and returned to my quest for employment. With this nugget of knowledge wedged deep within my head.

Soon after I lucked into book publisher McClelland & Stewart where my first employer, Frank Newfeld, was also a designer/illustrator … so he wasn’t going to be the one to make me choose. Over the years I designed many books and even got to illustrate some of them plus I diversified and did some magazine and newspaper illustration. I continued to see work by Theo Dimson … he even did a book jacket design while I was still at M&S (for a corporate history of Eaton’s). We were all very impressed by the quality of Theo’s finished artwork. Then in 1988 personal computers appeared and took the book industry (and everywhere else) by storm but I decided not to join and instead develop my career as an illustrator. I was told by a number of production people that if I didn’t get a computer they wouldn’t be able to use me to design their books anymore. So that was that. I lapsed into a sort of Luddite wasteland for a decade … at some point I threw out all my Letraset, gave away my photostat camera, waxer and discarded all my type catalogues. Didn’t need any of that stuff in my new job description of illustrator only.

One morning in 1999 I awoke (in the midst of a couple of design jobs that had shown up that I was woefully ill-equipped to handle) and remembered Theo Dimson’s warning from so many decades before. Head smack! I’d let it happen and I was no longer a designer. I’d allowed “them” to force me to make that choice.

I bought a computer, scanner, printer, programs, etc and I once again set up shop as a designer. It didn’t take me long to get back into the swing. Interestingly virtually all the people who had made me choose seemed to have disappeared. I now use my computer for both design and illustration applications.

I was very sorry to learn that Theo Dimson has passed on. That is one very impressive legacy of design and illustration that he left behind. RIP.

From Dimson's Facebook page....

See life as a 10 year old
Dress like an 18 year old
Think like a 25 year old
Beautiful women are my elixir of life


No comments:

Post a Comment