Friday, March 1, 2013

Down & Outrageous



Dang all this up and down inclement weather anyway! A couple of days ago I realized that my trusty boots had given up the ghost when I could see daylight through them as I was about to put ‘em on. No wonder my right foot had been getting damp of late. The last couple of days of alternating freezing rain and wet snow meant that many of my normal routes had become virtually impassable … certainly with leaky boots and the alternative … my regular walking shoes. After getting more than my share of severe soakers I was drying the shoes beside the fire thinking about what I could do (the obvious solution was to buy some new boots but now that we are a single car family it’s not that easy getting to a shoe store). So the next morning when I had to make my way by foot to my bank I came up with a brilliant idea. I’d wrap my shoes in plastic grocery bags then it wouldn’t matter if I stepped into a deep puddle. I somehow decided this made me look like a Wehrmacht soldier on the steppes of Mother Russia. So I set off for the bank. As I entered this house of commerce I began to have serious misgivings … maybe what I looked more like was a homeless street person. Oh dear. But it was too late to turn back. So I approached the teller … who just happened to be the bank’s manager. Did my business and left (with various people staring down at my feet). Later when I told my wife about what had happened she was mortified. (And I didn’t dare tell her about the manager!) So I just came back from Yorkville Mall with a brand spanking new pair of boots. Probably will just have them broken in as the weather turns for the better.


No comments:

Post a Comment