Saturday, March 9, 2013

Reunions


Thomson C.I. … at which it sank home that the only people I had ever had much in common with at high school were Don, Denise and Ann. There were several teachers that seemed to remember me … not always in a good way … one teacher pointed out that one of our classmates now looked older than he did which was impossible. A female classmate revealed that she was already a grandmother while some of us were just starting to breed. Missed the next one … not intentionally. And it was rumoured they'd be tearing D&MTCI down. But it's a year or two later and that hasn't happened yet. So we may yet get another kick at the can.

OCA … I was quite frankly appalled when informed that a limited OCA reunion was just going to consist of us boomers from the 60s and that it would be a nostalgic evening of 60s hits. Did that back in the 60s and it was now the start of a new millennium and nostalgia was never really my cup of tea anyway. So for starters the food was all Thai food … I doubt there were any back when we were at art college … Chinese yet but Japanese and Thai eateries hadn’t really become commonplace here yet. It was great to see the old guard … Stewie was there with his new wife, Ginny, Carol and an assortment of others. Many of us were stunned by the spicy foodstuffs. Then the music began. It was a far cry from nostalgic which was fine by me. There were strange acts culminating in a quartet called Random Order aka Three Dykes and a Fag. By now all the OCA people had disappeared … including my ride home who I’d come downtown with. I looked around and discovered I was surrounded by hordes of tattooed and pierced lesbians. I was definitely the Odd Man Out so I quietly exited the club and made my way home. On the subway I suddenly realized that I had indeed had a true Sixties Experience … I’d listened to some brand new music and I was going home by public transit … both things that I did regularly in my teen years. Those who left early missed the Real Nostalgia.

No comments:

Post a Comment