Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Multiples



Plastic (mostly) models … mostly airplanes and ships but also some tanks and soldiers. Nearly all Great War and World War II warplanes and warships … a few German jets (I was never all that interested in speed). Even tried my hand at technical illustration but let it slide when I realized that there wasn’t much of a market for German fighter plane renderings. I had a few impossible-to-find kits which I’d had imported from Germany or Italy. Not sure how my mother felt about all the sheets of swastika decals that arrived in the mail (her family having been murdered by the Nazis in the 1940s). Only had one flying model — a balsa wood de Havilland Chipmunk — that terrified me and made me heave a sigh of relief when it smashed into a garage wall on its maiden voyage. This mania started in Don Mills and continued after we moved into deeper suburbia (aka Scarborough) where I had regular war games with my friend in his parents’ basement … I still have a vivid memory of our re-enactment of the Battle of the River Plate with the pocket battleship Graf Spee and the cruisers Ajax, Exeter and Achilles in hot pursuit. Eventually I tired of building and meticulously painting tiny fighter planes so I took them out into the backyard and blew them to smithereens with my BB gun … all save an Italian Fiat CR42 biplane and a model of the ill fated German battleship Bismarck.

45 rpm singles … I had a fair collection of these including rarities by bands like The Who and the Merseybeats (that my grandparents had sent me from England. I even had those early recordings by the Beatles. Also had a few Buck Owens and the Buckaroos singles which heralded my eventual switch to country music. Not sure what became of these records though I still had the Buck Owens ones in the early 1970s (because we played them incessantly on the Mouse Lash Memorial Sound System at McClelland & Stewart).

Drawing, Book Design & Handwriting … In 1969 I graduated from the Advertising Department of the Ontario College of Art … certain that I didn’t want to hitch my train to the world of Advertising! So after some 30 or more interviews I found a spot aboard the Design Department of book publisher McClelland & Stewart. Apart from knowing very little about the logistics of designing books it was fairly obvious that my handwriting was far and away the worst in the department. So I taught myself a serviceable italic hand (peer pressure of the positive kind) and continued to refine it over the years. I had started out with a rather slow and laborious drawing style but soon found that clients expected things to be cranked out at a furious rate … so I developed a faster style (initially influenced by Heinz Edelmann, John Alcorn and Milton Glaser). Back in the 1970s we often had to pre-separate artwork which I found most enjoyable. I designed covers, jackets, page layouts, text and picture combinations, coffee table books, cookbooks, textbooks, novels, books of poetry and even a 2000+ page set of encyclopedias … anything and everything that came along. Our household book collection grew at a burgeoning rate. I plan to eventually write some blogs about specific projects as I think of them.

33-1/3 albums and cassette tapes … there was a certain overlap between my collections of singles and albums … I had all the Beatle albums, many by the Rolling Stones and the Byrds until I discovered Gram Parsons and Cosmic American Music in the late 1970s which made my album collection skyrocket. Eventually some music started being available on cassette rather than on vinyl so I made the switch and bought a cassette player.
 
Sketchbooks … Over the years I have developed quite a collection and it’s still growing! I tend to carry one everywhere and sometimes I’ve been known to make notes or even draw something. Looking at old books sometimes gives me new ideas. Suspect this will be an ongoing project.

CDs and MP3s … I resisted CDs until I found out that some of the music I craved no longer was manufactured on cassette. I actually bought my first three CDs before I had anything to play them on. I built a shrine hoping a player would appear but I guess my faith wasn’t strong enough. One of my CDs was actually played on a national radio show in 1993 before I was able to play it myself. I have downloaded some music (rarely for free) but still prefer to purchase CDs.

Websites … No sooner had I weaned myself off the demon television then I found myself hooked on Cyberspace. First it was e-mail, list serves and message boards. Once I parted ways in 2002 with the company I’d been designing textbooks for since 2000 I found my energies being largely transferred to yakking away on message boards devoted to artists I liked (such as Robbie Fulks) and some that I could take or leave (such as Cat Stevens). Then there was MySpace and later Facebook. Sometimes it feels better just to get away from all that by writing something like this. I went from being the #1 poster on the Fulks board to having over a thousand Facebook friends. Am I addicted? Is the Pope Catholic?

Stuffs … So what does someone like me do when the work seems to have all dried up? Dream up book concepts (one of them exists in print ready form but it may never emerge … still hoping), make handmade greeting cards (all good practice) and write blogs like this!

So what’s next? … I’m no futurist so I don’t really know. As Rodney Crowell said, “I’m still learning how to fly.”









No comments:

Post a Comment