Thursday, April 25, 2013

The Great Slowing Down


The Great Slowing Down

So in the 70s and 80s I became much too fast at knocking off illustrations. I didn’t start that way … at first I used to laboriously crosshatch and/or stipple practically all of my art. In the beginning I seemed to have unlimited time to produce artwork so I never thought very much about trying to speed up. Then one day I was handing in a job at the Star Weekly when the art director informed me that they would need to break the story into two parts and they needed an illustration for the second part almost immediately. Yikes! So I went back to my home studio (I had a full time job at McClelland & Stewart in those days) and started working a lot faster and with fewer interruptions and managed to get it done … but I didn’t like it as much as the first one and started working out how to avoid getting trapped like this in the future. I first figured out how to simplify at my day job. I did catalogue covers and my first book jackets in this streamlined style. My points of inspiration were Milton Glaser, John Alcorn and other artists connected with New York’s Push Pin Studios (who I’d first heard about when at art college). So over the years I developed this style … sometimes with a bit of stippling for old time’s sake … though I did take to sometimes using Letratone© which I considered a bit like cheating). Full colour pieces could slow one down if the artwork needed to be pre-separated … think amberlith, Xacto knives, mylar, Scotch tape, registration marks, and multiple layers (without really knowing what it was going to look like until a colour proof was made by the printer).
         I got so proficient that at some point in the 1980s I was illustrating a textbook and zapping off an average of four illustrations an hour. I read somewhere that an illustrator I knew was planning to no longer illustrate for educational publishers because they didn’t pay enough money. But I was earning something like $200 an hour so long as I could keep up the rate I was then at. Seemed like more than enough money. While working on this project I became aware that I was working so quickly that I was starting to lose track of what I had done before. I even saw some pieces and had little or no memory of having done them. This was not good! So I determined to slow myself down.
         Probably just as well as this was the late 80s when my design work started to dry up because of my refusal to become computerized. I gave it much thought and then I evolved my El Whacko© style … base drawings with outlines on both sides of the base art plus stippling and cross hatching … I’d ditched all my Letraset and Letratone at the curbside so there wasn’t any danger of cheating.
         First real chance I had to use this new slower technique was for a book called It Takes Two Judges to Try a Cow. I methodically planned out the drawing and then traced it onto a board. Then I did an initial drawing in fountain pen and then applying outlines with a fairly fine (O or OO) Rapidograph technical pen.
         Colour was a problem as I could no longer obtain a Kohinoor fountain pen which worked with waterproof ink. Should have stockpiled a few in the 1970s before they stopped manufacturing them. Finally in desperation I started using a straight pen with India ink for the base drawing so I could add colour without black bleeding into the colours. This after some experimenting with doing the colouring first and then adding the ink which I felt took away some of my control.
         During this slow period I joined Japan’s Sloth Club (via Kyoto Journal magazine) plus got a subscription to Plain. I had set a Luddite course that would last until the waning months of 1999. 



No comments:

Post a Comment